Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sale, Sale, Sale!




I think Raymour & Flanigan has a sale every day. I could be wrong, but that’s my perception. It seems like every spot is about a promotion. Although promotions tend to peak my interest, when I hear of one at Raymour & Flanigan, I’m not even fazed—for two reasons.

First, the promotions are so common, they don’t spur me to action even if the store is offering something I could use. I just assume I’ll keep what I have for a while longer, and when I’m ready to buy, Raymour & Flanigan is bound to have another sale.

Second, because Raymour & Flanigan advertises their promotions so often, I am suspicious of their furniture’s quality. I know there's always a deal, but is there always good craftsmanship? There may be, but I'd be more likely to walk into the store if that was communicated more often.

It’s interesting that a tactic intended to increase immediate sales has the ability to postpone sales and detract from brand equity--at least for one segment of the population.


1 comment:

Susan said...

Well said, Diane. Oftentimes in promotion, the brand becomes watered down. What do you suppose is the difference between R&F promotion and all those Express coupons we look forward to? Hmmmm . . . maybe price point . . .